So the man who said that anybody seeking immunity has probably committed a crime is now asking for immunity to testify before Congress. Now that’s what I call irony. Kudos to the Senate Intelligence Committee for rejecting the offer. It’s obvious that Mike Flynn knows his goose is cooked. Why on Earth would he be asking for immunity unless he had something to hide? And why on Earth would Richard Burr or Mark Warner give him a get out of jail free card?
We are only in the first quarter of this political football game, kids. We still don’t know enough about who did what and when, but this much we do know. This isn’t some “witch hunt” as Donald Trump falsely tweeted. This is the most serious threat to the Republic since Watergate; and while it is way too premature to assume that Trump will be the next Richard Nixon, granting anyone immunity at this stage of the investigation, especially someone as close to this president as Flynn, would be the height of irresponsibility.
Consider the following:
- We know that Russia hacked the servers of both the DNC and John Podesta in an attempt to directly influence the 2016 election
- They also were responsible for thousands of news trolls on fake social media sites that spread vicious lies about Hillary Clinton that were meant to depress Democratic turnout
- Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign manager, has close ties to Russian oligarchs and is a strong supporter of Vladimir Putin
- Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, has a financial connection to a Russian bank under economic sanctions
- Jeff Sessions, Trump’s Attorney General, lied under oath about meeting with the Russian ambassador
- The Director of the FBI publicly admitted that the Bureau is conducting a criminal investigation into the Russian hacks and possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia
- Devin Nunes, Chair of the House Intelligence Committee and Trump lackey, seems more concerned about the people leaking information on the Administration than the actual information being leaked. and, Oh yeah
- The Flynn fiasco
There would be only one reason, and one reason alone, to grant Flynn immunity: he has something on Trump. Barring that, they should tell him to take a hike. Not only don’t Democrats need his testimony, in a couple of months the FBI will likely have enough dirt on him to send him away for a very long time. And, with any luck at all, he’ll have plenty of company. Seriously, this administration is so corrupt, it would be nothing short of miraculous if no one ended up doing prison time.
Let’s get everyone’s testimony, including Sally Yates, and follow the facts wherever they may lead. The truth will have its way eventually.
- Stay Connected
Latest posts by Peter Fegan (see all)
- Dems Need To Bury The Past and Embrace The Future - April 16, 2017
- Trump Is Playing Chicken With the Wrong Psychopath - April 14, 2017
- Blaming Bernie for 2016 Isn’t Going To Defeat Trump in 2020 - April 14, 2017
- No the Senate Didn’t Die This Week. It’s Been Dead for Quite Some Time - April 8, 2017
- Progressives Are Drawing the Wrong Conclusions From the Tea Party Insurrection - April 4, 2017